Parrots are tameable as pets just like wolves and ocelots and are found only in jungle biomes. Once tamed, they can sit on your shoulders and will follow you until you right-click on them to sit down.
They also have other cool behaviors such as dancing when music is played, imitating the sounds of nearby hostile mobs, and following other mobs and animals. This tutorial will teach you how to find and tame your first parrot in Minecraft.
Finding Parrots in Minecraft
Parrots can only be found in jungle biomes, including old jungles generated prior to the World of Color update (1.12). Due to their vibrant colors, they are not too difficult to find and they stand-out quite a bit. Note that parrots spawn only on lighted grass blocks and are able to fly to other areas.
READ MORE: How To Find and Tame Llamas in Minecraft
Here are some useful tips if you are having trouble finding parrots in an old jungle (a jungle generated prior to the update):
- Passive mobs (including parrots and other animals) will not spawn if there are more than 10 in any currently loaded chunks. You will have to kill all nearby passive mobs for more to spawn. Note that the spawn-point chunk is always loaded and is included in this limit.
- Clear out nearby trees and ensure that the grass is well-lit with torches. The tall, leafy jungle trees can block out sunlight.
Please consider whitelisting us to support our website.
Trouble finding a jungle? You will have to explore your world until you find one! If you’re having a lot of difficulty, you can try using a Map Viewer to locate a jungle for your seed.
Taming Parrots in Minecraft
Once you find a parrot, it is very easy to tame it. Simply right click the parrot with any type of seed (including beetroot, pumpkin, etc.) until hearts appear above the parrot. Once the hearts appear, it is tamed and will follow you until you right-click it to sit.
Walking through a tamed parrot will perch it on your shoulder. You can have up to two perched, one for each shoulder, and they cannot take any damage while perched. Jumping or falling down will dismount your parrots from your shoulder.
More Facts About Minecraft Parrots
- Parrots were initially tamed using cookies, however because chocolate can be harmful to pet birds in real-life, it was later changed to seeds. Now, feeding your parrot cookies will actually kill it!
- They come in five different colors: cyan, green, red, grey, and blue
- Parrots cannot be bred and when killed they will drop a few feathers